Monday, September 9, 2013

An Aloof Young Lady

When Elka was younger, she would greet every person exuberantly. A little too exuberantly, as Elka's love is not a gentle one. But, we worked on it. And worked on it. And she doesn't jump on people anymore. Sometimes she'll jump next to a person still, but never onto them. And that's good.


A thing I've been noticing, in the back of my brain, is that as Elka has gotten older, she's gotten less interested in greeting people when she's on leash. She'll go in for a greeting (which is typically a crotch sniff. Sigh.) and then she'll stand by me, or between myself and the person, or off to the side, thinking her Doberman thoughts. She'll respond to me calling her name, or giving her a cue, but the other person? No amount of clapping and name calling and sweet talk elicited so much as an ear twitch from Miss Elka on our most recent trip to work. They might as well have not existed.



Arguably, with chicken and cheddar in the treat bag, I  had an advantage. But even if I wasn't giving her food, she was at least giving me a check in. I mean, I took her to the park first, but she wasn't acting exhausted. Just...aloof. Arguably, this is a Doberman characteristic. They are people oriented, yes, but when it comes to their particular people. Not anybody who comes down the sidewalk. And apparently not everybody they're introduced to. And while it was kind of funny (in an "I hope my new boss doesn't take this personally" kind of way), it got me thinking.

I guess my little girl has grown up?


12 comments:

  1. You turn around, and she's grown into herself. Bit of a shock, eh? Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Yes, it is kind of a shock. I'm both proud of her, and amused by the change.

      Delete
  2. We work so hard to teach our puppies and children good manners and then there is a sadness when we realize they are learning them and growing up.

    BTW, my dogs are so envious of her ability to do crotch sniffs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's still very puppyish with us in the house (and one of these days, I need to get pictures/video of her greeting dance. It's a joy to behold)!

      Well, Jan, I picked my battles. "crotch sniff" was less bad than "jump up". Maybe she'll stop crotch sniffing in the next four years! ;)

      Delete
  3. Cooper has always been a jumper, but we're finally making progress. The crotch sniffing thing... Lucas' nose is exactly crotch height for the average person, so?? There's not really anything to do about it. Luckily, most people have a sense of humor! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, most people while greeting dogs have certain expectations! Dogs are dogs, they sniff, they sometimes jump.

      Delete
  4. Aww mama. Growing up is tough on us. She's a beautiful girl, more than enough to make any mama proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! :D I am very proud of her (and brag enough for everybody, I think)

      Delete
  5. OMD, the furst two paragraphs are SO ME!!! BOL I still like givin' Ma a 'goose' before she leaves the house...gotta make sure if she meets any other doggies, they know I'M her doggie!!
    Usually, if peeps are 'dog people' they know doggie attitudes and are not offended by much.
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, Elka gooses us too, sometimes.

      Dog people do understand, for the most part. Sometimes they say things like "I don't understand, dogs always like me."

      Delete
  6. Oh Elka so funny. Best to listen to the hand that feeds you
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the fact I feed her certainly contributes ;)

      Delete