Saturday, April 28, 2012

A Wedding for Dogs?

I'm not sure what's going on in California.

Scruffy Rubin and Snickers Carter tied the knot, in an event to the tune of $5000. The bride wore a couture dress, Snickers had a tux and in lieu of gifts, the couple asked that donations be made to The Orphan Pet Oasis Humane Society of the Desert in Palm Springs (What an acronym that must be: OPOHSDPS. It might even be a key of Solomon.)

Oh yeah. And Scruffy and Snickers are little dogs.

Photo by Wade Byars for the Desert Sun

So, does anybody else think this is a little freaking weird?

I mean, I'll be the first to tell you that having Elka is like having another human in the house.  A non judgmental, only partially communicative human. But, couture? Live band? Catered event? Open bar? But no gifts, guys, because the widdle orphan animals really need it. 

I mean, this is America here, if you want to throw a party like that and say it's a wedding for your dogs, okay fine. But to jacket it in a venue to gain charity donations, the juxtaposition of excess and altruism don't really do it for me.

Imagine what that $5000 could have done for that humane society; heck, the Doberman Assistance Network only wanted a measly $1000 for their fundraiser. And I don't think that 5k takes into account the attire of the bride and groom, and their wedding party. How much money did they "raise for charity"? I don't really know; it would be lovely to find out. The Mother of the Bride, Ernie Rubin, said "the donations we collected for the shelter were just amazing." 
Sources: AZCentral
              WTSP.com 

18 comments:

  1. I admit that the photo made me look. So cute. But like you, I think, geez... what that kind of money could mean to a shelter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photo is very cute! I'm not really a person who likes dressing dogs up....but sometimes people do. And sometimes it's cute.

      Delete
  2. I bet in 6 months we'll be hearing about how Scruffy was caught with a toy poodle and Snickers is pregnant, but are they all Scrufy's? Hmmm!

    In all seriousness though, I think it's a tad crazy to have a "wedding" for your dogs. If I had $5000 to spare on a doggy wedding, I would rather donate it to charity as you suggested Jen, and then just take the dogs to the beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as it lasts longer than a Kardashian (sp?) wedding, right?

      Delete
  3. Hi Y'all,

    Hoppin' by to say "hello" and see how y'all are doing. That isn't even a BOL event. Some peoples idea of ... I refuse to go there. :(

    Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    Y'all come by now,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People do some pretty wacky things, and get their pets to play along! I'm glad you stopped by ^^

      Delete
  4. What a strange strange concept!

    Slobbers

    ReplyDelete
  5. And here I though *I* was that crazy dog lady...I can't imagine having that kind of money on something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, must be nice to have $5000 to throw a party with, on a whim!

      Delete
  6. Very weird. Another example of how humans shaping their own Disneyfied ideal of a dog. In the end, it is the dog that will pick up the bill for this screwed behavior. Why cant we just appreciate them as dogs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because they're little furry people, didn't you get the memo?

      Oh wait, they're not. I don't know why people can't just let dogs be the simple, blissful beings that they are.

      Delete
  7. Maybe they thought the "$5000 dog wedding" would get more publicity than a regular fundraiser? If 100 people donate $50 each to attend, they would just break even, so it would have made more sense to just donate the money directly to the shelter. Wonder if they raised more than $5000? It definitely was a weird idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they said they made a whole lot of money, but failed to name a dollar amount. Maybe they did in another article?

      Delete
  8. I was thinking why not just donate the $5,000 without the party?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!

      Though I guess, depending, some people spend far more money than that on human-only parties!

      Delete
  9. Wow $5,000 for a dog wedding... what has this world come to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not entirely sure! That's what I hoped you fine folks would help me with ;)

      Delete