Monday, April 22, 2013

Look over there! What's that?

I know it's kind of the stereotype of the dog owner to think that their dog is the smartest and bestest dog of them all. Really, it's every individual dog's job to be the best dog. It's just the way things are.

Of course I have stories like that, though. Where I just couldn't believe Elka's intelligence, or the mental connections that she made to reach the behavioral end. A main reason we picked Doberman is for the intelligence; perhaps we didn't think that through? But it's been great, for the most part!





This one happened quite awhile ago, when she was a year or so old. Maybe less? But, I was sitting at my fiancĂ©'s desk, playing World of Warcraft (which I still did at the time). Elka had been napping on one of the couches, and after awhile, got up and came over to me. I was engrossed, as one gets, and didn't immediately pay attention to her.


This, of course, could not stand. She nosed me, she grunted at me, and after a little while, she backed up, sat down, and "talked" a little. I finished whatever I was doing and turned to her. I probably asked her what she wanted, as one does. Elka looked at me, made specific eye contact, and then looked up past me at the ceiling. I turned around and looked to, as one does, because I assumed she saw something there. A spider, maybe? I wouldn't be thrilled at the prospect of a spider dropping on me from the ceiling. 

Well, as soon as I turned away from her, Elka dodged in and grabbed a toy off the floor by my feet. Apparently I'd been "guarding" it, and she wouldn't take it unless I either gave her permission  or wasn't looking. And I didn't know it was there, so I wasn't really in a position to give permission.


She came immediately back anyway, because Elka doesn't really play by herself. And I played with her, and laughed, because I'd totally been Three Stoogesed by my dog.




26 comments:

  1. Ha, ha, ha. You are one smart pup, Elka! This story sure did put a smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still funny to me, even after all this time! ^^

      Delete
  2. She is VERY smart

    Stop on by for a visit
    Kari
    http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she also has a sense of humor, such as can be understand by us mere mortals.

      Delete
  3. Oh Elka you are making us look bad
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, but there's two of you! You can tag team ;)

      Delete
  4. She is such a smart girl :o) of course she is a Doberman :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes a dog's intelligence is funny and sometimes it is just scary to think they could take over the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? They just lack thumbs and the ability to speak English.

      Delete
  6. Very smart Elka!! Also, I like your red shirt!!!!!

    ~Higgins

    ReplyDelete
  7. BOL!! Oh Elka, you sure do have your Moms trained!
    Ma calls that pushy and bossy, and I do it ALL the time. I have her well trained too!
    Kisses,
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's more pushy sometimes than others...this one I'll just all funny ;)

      Delete
  8. My first time stopping by! Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Always happy to have new visitors.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Sometimes we say "Clever girl", like in Jurassic Park.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. I'm always relieved when people other than me agree ;)

      Delete
  11. There are days where I'm just amazed at how smart dogs are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? It's always so cool and interesting, even when the joke's on me.

      Delete
  12. They are so smart, I'm surprised that more people don't realize it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always knew Elka was a smart doggy!!

    Wags to all

    Your pal Snoopy :)

    ReplyDelete