Sunday, May 20, 2012

Gummy Bear!

One of Elka's birthday presents was a squeaky (well, it kind of squawks) gummy bear, manufactured by J.W. Pets. They're the company that makes the "cuz" toys, if you're familiar.

I've heard good things about the cuzs, but also valuable warnings: You see, there are two kinds. One with feet that are easily gnawed off and swallowed, the others not. You might guess which kind was available when I went to the local feed store. So, gummy bear it was!




Elka seemed more than impressed with the gummy bear. I've got to say, it actually kind of smells nice. Rather like vanilla, instead of just rubber blah.


When it makes noise, Elka tends to stop and sniff at its butt. Sort of like when she farts and sniffs her own butt like, "butt, what are you doing?"


I guess she's starting to get over her fear of hurting objects; though she'll still chew this delicately, to avoid the squawking, she doesn't recoil from it when it squawks either. Though somewhat durable, this toy does require supervision; she centered on the area around the squeaker valve to chew, which is apparently the toy's most vulnerable area. If she'd just play with it and squeak the body, it would be fine. Also, she seems to like playing with it with her butt in the air. I've seen pictures of other Dobermans doing this. Breed trait?


Other than the supervision necessity (which, truth be told, I do with almost all toys other than Gumby and Kongs at this point), I'm rather happy with the gummy beat. It's bright (to me, anyway), it's adorable, and Elka doesn't seem troubled by it.


22 comments:

  1. I think Kuster would love that toy! Elka looks awfully cute with it, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty great toy! It kind of sounds like the stuffed ducks that we used to get her.

      Delete
  2. Ooooh,

    I've never seen those toys before - they look like lots of fun!! Elka made me laugh with her butt in the air - cute as it is of course!! Tee Hee

    Have fun buddy,

    Your pal Snoopy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never seen one 'til that trip to the store!

      Delete
  3. Elka looks so cute with her butt in the air playing with it! Sounds like a great toy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elka does that butt in the air thing with almost everything we give her. It's pretty funny!

      Delete
  4. Oh boy...

    That does look like a lot of fun!

    xo
    Luna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She seems to enjoy it. It bounces all crazy when I throw it for her, too.

      Delete
  5. I've never seen a rubber gummy before. Elka made it look like fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a friend whose favorite junk food ever is gummy bears, so I told him we got it for Elka in his honor ^^

      Delete
  6. That looks like something Torrey would love. She likes the squeaky noise though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think a squeaker aficionado would get a kick out of it!

      Delete
  7. Awwww, you look so cute playing with it!!

    ~Higgins

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a success!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a good toy--why do they always go for the squeaker area? I guess there's something uniquely satisfying about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've wondered that too. Chewing the squeaker specifically, or even performing surgery to get at an internal squeaker source.

      Delete
  10. Cool new toy! Does it seem as durable as a KONG? I have heavy chewers in my house so I don't leave any of our toys with the dogs unsupervised.

    Happy Monday!
    Colby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It unfortunately does not seem as durable as a Kong. I was hoping that it would be!

      Delete
  11. She looks like she is really enjoying it. I think my doggies would kill poor Gummy Bear, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, in these situations with Elka, the noises the toy makes are what protects it for any amount of time! Without supervision, the Gummy Bear would have pieces missing already, I think.

      Delete