Sunday, May 20, 2012

Diamond Pet Food Recall part deux: Missouri plant

On Friday, April 18, Diamond Pet Foods announced another recall, this one for foods manufactured from a plant in Missouri. Once again, it was one of those "drop and run" recall announcements.

So,

The recall announced Friday applies to samples, 6-pound bags and 18-pound bags of Diamond Naturals Small Breed Adult Dog Lamb & Rice Formula dry dog food manufactured on Aug. 26, 2011.

For bags with codes:

-- DSL0801, 26-Aug-2012
-- DSL0801, 27-Sept-2012
-- DSL0801, 18-Oct-2012
-- DSL0801 (samples)

Here is the link to the updated information on the Diamond Pet web site. 

Something that weirds me out about this one? "Product manufactured on Aug. 26, 2011 and packaged on Sept. 27, 2011" I am obviously ignorant about factory and manufacturing settings but...if you're making food, wouldn't you package it when you made it? I thought that was the last logical step on the assembly line: food comes in, kibble forms, feeds through, gets into bag, bag seals.


I guess I should stop making assumptions. I end up looking foolish, more often than not.

6 comments:

  1. I don't think you are looking foolish by making logical assumptions. We need to be asking questions and demanding answers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess they just figure that it's only dog food, and nobody was going to check? I'm unclear on the thought process here.

      Delete
  2. I'm feeling better and better about my decision to switch to a dog food that goes bad. If it's food, it shouldn't last a month between manufacturing and packaging, should it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't feel like there should be that delay, no. Theoretically, it would be stored it big closed bins, which isn't a big deal, might be common practice, and can be completely safe. The other end of the spectrum is that it's stored in a pile on the floor in a barn somewhere (which I"m saying to be funny and don't think is true).

      Delete
  3. They probably can manufacture faster than they can pack. They may have have had a need to package a rush order of one or more kinds and so split the lots. Not really unusual in manufacturing. They also don't seem to have their processes all in-line and automated which is suggested in the inspection report. Dog food has a long shelf life so I don't see an issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that dog food manufacturing is just such a big question mark. I certainly don't have a "day in the life of a dog food factory" rubrick in my head, so the piecemeal information that's being released all sounds just so odd.

      Delete