Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Elka's Balls

At the beginning of this blog, I had many many tennis ball posts. I just could not believe how easily tennis balls designed for dogs were destroyed by Elka. Don't these people know? Is it just a cash grab? I still have no answer.

(in her lovely studded collar, from The Punky Pup, which closed its Internet doors)




Since that time, we've concentrated less on tennis balls (Elka has developed the not so awesome habit of peeling the fuzz off of them). I got her an Unbreakoball last year, which we'll try again with at the beach and in the back yard, if winter ever ends.


I also got her a JW Pets Bad Cuz (which I plan to review but have not yet). I will say that she hasn't destroyed it in any way, and does seem somewhat fond of it. The dying animal squeak/squeal it makes seems to help. I remember those days when she was afraid of squeaky toys (or of hurting them, at risk of anthropomorphizing).


In the Easter aisle at Walgreens, I noticed that they have some "outdoor play" spring stuff. Really cool "Discovery kids" things to mess with bugs, and items that I identify as kick balls. I thought about buying one of the kick balls (identified by the company as a "playground ball", how droll) but I haven't yet. I'm sure Elka would probably just pop it, and it's considerably less throw-away, cost wise, than a tennis ball is. Have any of you ever bought one of these balls for your dog?




11 comments:

  1. Beamer is just like Elka. Balls don't last a chance against Beamer. We have the JW Pet Bad Cuz too. Beamer loves it, but my sister recently gave it to her pup to play with and now it's lost.

    I think tennis ball fuzz is really bad for a dog's teeth. It files them down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, we haven't, but the Jolly Ball is VERY popular here with certain destructive chewers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried any of those, but I'm pretty good with balls, think its cos I only really like ones that squeak

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no Elka mom ruined all the peeling fun, BOL
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had bought one of those for my last dog - her tooth got stuck in it and then it deflated and it was ok. I also had to switch to racquetballs - no fuzz and the higher end ones tend to last longer before being crushed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sampson has a soccer ball, but that is it. I haven't tried any other larger balls with them, truthfully neither one is very hip on balls, although they will eat the fuzz off the tennis balls!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, guess what? Grandpa bought me that exact same playground ball, and I killed it in less than 5 minutes. It's hard to find a ball I want to play with that I don't destroy....
    Kisses,
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  8. That bright orange ball looks way cool. Our dogs don't like balls. :( But we have picked up grocery bags of tennis balls from people via craigslist for next to nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went through a lot of tennis balls and racquetball balls before I discovered lacrosse balls. They're nearly indestructible, although a pit bull with a lot of free time can cause significant damage.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Silas played really hard with an abandoned basketball last time we were at Mom's. It lasted through four or five days without showing any signs of distress. Elka is bigger, so she can probably get more of it in her mouth, but Silas could just barely bite it. (I'm honestly not sure if if was full sized or the "junior" size, though.) I'd buy him one for here, but we don't have room.

    We had a softer huge rubber ball (the ones they sell for kids that usually have cartoon characters on them) and it lasted twenty seconds. The best twenty seconds of SIlas's life, but twenty seconds nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete