Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Dreams of Summer (Happy New Year)

I confess, in December and January and February, I think of June and July and August an awful lot.

Maybe it's because, back in high school, we had a February break, and on that break, we took a trip to warmer climes a couple of times? Key West one year, Cancun another.


There are times when it's icy and cold and winter seems like it's going to last a million more years. I don't have Seasonal Affective Disorder, but I do get bluesy and irritable in the winter. I do think about green grass and blue skies and fireflies.

Elka gets cold, certainly. She rarely, if ever, seems to mind the summer heat. It can be ninety degrees out, with heat shimmers hanging over the pavement, and she wants me to throw a tennis ball, wants to go for a walk, wants a squeaky toy. She doesn't ask for walks in the winter; she asks for her hoodie. She asks to be under the blanket. 


But, wintry grousing aside, Happy New Year to my readers and bloggy friends. May your toes be warm enough and your houses draft free, and dreams of summer sun-kiss your face until it's again a reality.


12 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! Justus agrees with Elka; though he wants to walk at any time (except in the rain), he really likes to snuggle in with me and my blankets in the cold winter mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With us it is the other way around. I have come to appreciate it more too, because K&V are so much more in there element when it is cold outside. Although the days are shorter, and they sleep more.
    Have a Happy New Year, and may it soon be summer again!
    Hovie Hugs from Kenzo & Viva.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New year. Look forward to reading you posts this year .

    lynz and the dobes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year... let's wait together for the lovely summer ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elka seems to be part Chihuahua or Poodle. But probably not.
    Have a great 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hang in there....it will be here before you know it. :-)
    While Toby and Leah LOVE the winter, Meadow agrees with Elka. Give her a jacket, a heater, and get her indoors, and she is happy. But come summer, while the other two want to lounge in the shade, she never seems to mind the heat at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great pic of Elka in the meadow! I bet you shorter haired doggies don't really likes the cold as much. Sorry gurl! It'll be just a few more months, then you'll be thinkin' of surf dude doggies!
    Happy New Year!

    Kisses,
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Mr was complaining that we didn't have any snow before Christmas, now we have snow up to my knees! It's going to be in the teens every night this week, so glad he does the final walk of the night. Also glad that Maggie and Duke do what they need to, run around like maniacs for a few minutes and then head for the house. :)

    Warm wishes to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're in such a hot climate that we're the other way around. Summer is way too hot to do anything, so winter is our best time.

    Sending you some warm air!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with you, give me warm, sunny days anytime! I love the change of the seasons, but I'd be more than happy to skip winter, or hibernate!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have snow and I have to confess I don't mind winter, but it does hang on a wee bit longer than I'd prefer. :-)

    Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete