Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Third Annual Pet Blogger Challenge: January 10 2013

 Thanks to Something Wagging, and Tales and Tails, I remembered the Pet Blogger Challenge way in advance this time!




1. How long have you been blogging and provide a link to your post from last year’s Pet Blogger Challenge so we can refresh our memories.
I've been Blogging since April 7 of 2011. Last year I almost forgot!
2. What do you consider the most important goals you set out in last year’s post?
The educational ones. While not every post I have is informational, I do try to maintain a consistent level of points on what I feel is responsible dog ownership, good training, and good feeding. This year, especially in November and December, I tried to call more attention to Doberman rescue, and activities and fundraisers involving those. 
3. Have you made progress toward those goals, or have your goals changed over the past year?
I think I've actually read fewer dog training books over the last year, so I need to adjust that certainly. I do think I've maintained a goo dlevel of responsibility without creeping into self-righteousness too often (yeah, I know I do it. Don't worry.)
4. How often do you post?
Typically Monday through Friday, sometimes with extras. 
5. Has your opinion of blogging on a schedule or as the spirit moves you changed?
If you publish on a schedule, why? How strict are you about your publishing deadlines? What do you do for inspiration when it feels like you’ve covered every topic?
If you don’t publish on a schedule, why? How do you think your decision affects your audience? How do you know when a topic is “post-worthy?”
I started posting on a schedule mostly because I didn't want to have to scramble for material. If I know I'm doing M-F, other days optional, then I can actually compose posts ahead of time, take pictures with an eye toward entries, and lay out what exactly I'm doing, with or without blog hops. 
 6. How much time do you spend writing your blog per week? How much time visiting other blogs? Share your  tips for staying on top of it all.

Oh goodness, I'm pretty sure I don't actually stay on top of it all! I do daily try to go through my list of people I follow, and comment on the entries that have inspired a thought, or that I feel I can contribute to the discussion on. I'm not really sure how much time daily I spend on the actual writing and commenting, in addition to (rather sporadically, as of late) answering the comments on my own blog. At least an hour, certainly.
7. How do you measure the success of a post and of your blog in general (comments, shares, traffic)?
Do you look strictly at the numbers, or do you have a way of assessing the quality of those interactions?

I look at the numbers of pageviews, but also how many people commented, whether it drew in a new (non spam) commenter, that sort of thing. Sometimes I like a post, anyway, even if nobody else seems to have!
8. If you could ask the pet blogging community for help with one issue you’re having with your blog, what would it be?
I'm not sure I can say right out that I'm having any issues. I feel as though my traffic is decent, I dearly love my readers and commenters, and really just take things as they come.

9. What goals do you have for your blog in 2013?
I'd like to continue to have videos on the Youtube. I intend to crack the books some more, both to do reviews of them and to learn/discuss more training techniques. I want to do more Command Clinic posts, as I've been more sporadic with them than I originally intended, and Elka certainly has a number of cues I can expound upon. I intend to continue posting about Doberman rescues, their fundraisers, and about dogs in need.

31 comments:

  1. it's so interesting to read other blogger's habits. Great post and challenge:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've really enjoyed reading peoples' answers! These kinds of challenges are so great.

      Delete
  2. It's enormously hard to stay on top of things! Today is turning out to be a particular nightmare, between the Challenge linky link and all my other blogging friends LOL. No sleep for the wicked. Hmmm. I didn't realise it was a bad thing being self righteous ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's one reason I got less stringent about replying to my own comments....sometimes I'm just not sure what to say to everybody!

      Shh, maybe you shouldn't encourage me ;)

      Delete
  3. Great review and great goals for the upcoming year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to see more Command Clinic posts and training book reviews. And when it comes to training, I think a little self-righteousness is a-ok! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, I also need there to be more training books! I've got at least one in mind that I can lay my hands to that's fairly recent. I do feel I've been slackery on that.

      Funny story, it wasn't until tonight that my fiance had seen me use "Heel" with Elka and seen her swing in to my right and sit. He was amazed!

      Delete
  5. It's so cool to read about this pet blogger challenge, I like it - great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it fun, when everybody piles in like this? Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  6. Funny you started posting on a schedule because you DIDN't want to scramble for material. For me it would be the exact opposite. Looking forward to your new discussion of training techniques and keep that self-righteousness up high, we love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I only sometimes claim to make sense. My own personal logic is evidently a mysterious one to those around me!

      Delete
  7. Great interview. We like finding out more about our friends
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to "peek behind the curtain" once in awhile!

      Delete
  8. It sounds interesting. All the best for 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good post and I love your goals for the upcoming year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They seem pretty reachable, right? ;)

      Delete
  10. Great post and I have actually learned a lot about Dobermans from your blog. I totally agree about the time issue! Great goals for 2013, they seem like a natural flow to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like everything is going well! YouTube is another item I need to add to my to do list. I'm pretty sure when I have a new puppy the videos will start coming more frequently. I can't wait to see what Elka has in store for 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoyed your responses! Elka is beautiful!
    Best wishes meeting your 2013 goals~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jen...It's so nice to meet you and Elka. I've really enjoyed going around and reading everyone's responses to this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds like you're in a pretty good place with your blog. No one ever accomplishes all of their goals. That's why they're goals - you need to stretch to achieve them! But you've set up a blogging schedule that works for you, and I think that's half the battle!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, nice to visit your blog. I haven't been here before so I plan to have a bit of a look around. It sounds like you like reading, too. I really like reading dog books (training and others), but it's so hard to find the time - and then find the time to review them! All the best for 2013.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I do hope you enjoy what you find.

      Delete
  16. Hey - I'm still trying to get around to all the blogs on the hop. Getting sick right after certainly did nothing for my time management skills. ;)

    I think you're doing an amazing job with the blog. We get enough Elka to keep it personal but it's also very informative as well. I learn a lot whenever I visit and not just about Doberman's but about dogs and training and equipment as well. Of course, I love the rescue aspect as well.

    Good luck with your 2013 goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think "time management skills" is a dirty word (or phrase, I guess?)

      I'm glad you like the rescue aspect! It seems like the rescue centric posts receive far fewer views, and definitely fewer comments, but I feel like the exposure is important for those dogs and groups.

      Delete
  17. Thanks so much for taking the Challenge! I admire you for posting 5+ times a week - if I tried to do that I think I'd feel I was always scrambling for content. You've got some great goals for 2013, and I'm sure with your dedication you'll accomplish them with no problem. Here's to a great new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks for hosting the challenge!

      There are times I feel like I'm scrambling, and other times it's smooth sailing. I'd say I'm disciplined but really, I don't feel like that's the case!

      Delete
  18. Your comments about training made me think of something. Whenever I use one of my odd training cues with Honey (out of the flowers, for instance), I always think of you and Elka and your list of training cues.

    I look forward to seeing whatever you and Elka have in store for us this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, how neat that you think of us! Every once in awhile, I realize that what I'm saying to Elka isn't "normal" pet vocabulary, or is just plain weird but hey, she gets it! She gets an awful lot.

      Delete
  19. I admire your posting schedule - I'm always a bit behind!

    I look forward to seeing what the next year brings you!

    ReplyDelete