Monday, January 7, 2013

Monday Mischief: The Joys of Dog Ownership

So, I may or may not have a Doberman hair in my toe like a splinter. As you might imagine, it's hard to see based on light, and I might be hallucinating. Not to worry, I'm not going to post a picture of my right big toe for your perusal. Or the sole of my left foot. Yup, two. It's so awesome.

But really, our dogs sometimes put us through a lot.


Elka steps on us pretty regularly, and I've failed to keep her nails an acceptable length (I'm pricing Dremels, not to worry!). She occasionally sticks her nose in somebody's mouth if they're yawning, and I don't mean "sniffs their mouth". I mean "tries to crawl into their mouth". It's a little unsettling. She belches (I didn't know dogs could do that), she farts (not to worry, if I didn't hear it? I know she did by the fact that she lifts her head and delicately sniffs her tail). She wipes her eye boogers on my shirt if I call them to her attention. She sneezed in my mouth once;l I had called her upstairs, and when she came running, I had my arms open, and was telling her, joyfully, how amazing she was. Which I guess put me in prime "firing" range.



She's very sweet too, though. She alerts me pre-migraine. One of our housemate frequently has achey joints due to the weather, and she's especially solicitous then. We have a friend with diabetes, and she's invasive if his sugar is "off". Elka's love is not a gentle one, and sometimes these advances are unwelcome, but the heart of a dog is a vast and magnificent thing, and hers is always in the right place.



22 comments:

  1. Woof! Woof! The LOVE n joy of being a dog owner. Happy MM. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is wonderful that Elka can alert you to migraines. My dog always knows when one of us is about to come down with a cold. Animals are just incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who's had her mouth sneezed into. And recently, Cooper has gotten into the habit of licking my ear when I'm asleep. Talk about a rude awakening. All the (gross) joys of loving dogs... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We like keeping the pawrents on their toes, BOL
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dog ownership is definitely not for the squeamish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Elka,

    You're just such an awesome doggie - keep up the great work buddy!! Sneezing in your Mom's mouth made me chuckle though :)

    Hope you're having a fun day :)

    Your pal Snoopy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I can relate. I thought I was the only one who got dog 'slivers' in their feet. I can feel it and my foot aches and then I think...hmm I wonder if I have a dog sliver. Sure enough. I've taken to not walking barefoot around my house because I'm too susceptible.

    Delilah once stuck her face in mine while I was meditating. Quite startling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep the foibles and joys of dog hood. Wouldn't live with out them though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dog ownership is SUCH a joy

    Stop on by for a visit
    Kari
    http://dogisgodinreverse.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always knew Elka was amazing - your post just proves I was right! I love that dogs have such different personalities and different quirks - makes me laugh to hear how she tries to climb into people's mouths and burps - Blueberry could probably give her a run for her money on that one!

    Really - dog hair splinters? I sometimes have woken up with a dog hair in my eye - let me tell you, that also feels pretty awesome. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dremel rechargeable MiniMite 7300. Once you have it you won't know how you lived without it!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm trying t envision the sneeze in the mouth episode:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My husband has had dog hair splinters in his feet before, too! I'm so glad it wasn't only at my house!

    I think we all need to see a video reenactment of that sneeze!

    P.S. We have the Furminator nail grinder and we love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this post. Elka is such an awesome girl, I"m glad she has an owner who appreciates her!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww. Elka is truly amazing. Our Flash belches and, like you, I didn't know dogs could. Weird, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well said - boy, Elka gets in, around, and about, doesn't she? Plus, you have a canine medical meter on hand; talented girl :).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loving a dog and having a dog love you...truly an amazing gift of life.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The ups and downs of dog ownership, wouldn't trade it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Molly always tries to take advantage of a big mouth yawn!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's very cool about Elka's notification system. But sorry about your toe - that sounds like it hurts.

    Bella likes to sniff people's breath. Mine especially and every now and then she seems to think she can get a better scent if she uses her tongue. I am not a fan of getting french-kissed by the dog. I've seen where she puts her mouth.

    That said, I wonder what she's trying to smell and how she'd react if she ever smelled something out of place? I love that Elka can alert you to migraines, etc. That's pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete